Schools Printed Music Licence

The Schools Printed Music Licence (SPML) has been introduced by Printed Music Licensing Limited (PMLL) which is owned by the Music Publishers Association (MPA). The SPML is available to schools exclusively from CLA who are sole agents.

The SPML is for state-maintained (includes academies and free schools) and independent schools in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for students up to the age of 18. It is not available to sixth form colleges or to language schools.

Licence permissions

The licence permits schools to legally make copies of printed music by any of the following means:

  • Photocopying
  • Scanning
  • Score-writing software programs
  • Notation by hand
  • Posting on a school VLE

The SPML also permits the arranging of musical works to enable performance by any combination of instruments and voices within a school.

There are some Licence limitations

  • Copies may be made from publications owned by the school in question or owned by a Music Education Hub or Local Music Service (where an appropriate arrangement is in place) or by a teacher providing music education services to the school in question (and who may be employed directly by that school, by the relevant Music Education Hub or Local Music Service, or on a freelance basis).
  • The copying of anthologies or multi movement choral works is limited to 10%
  • Copying for the purposes of indivdual (or group) vocal or instrumental tuition is covered so long as it is for what we call 'Collective Educational Provision' – please refer to our Glossary
  • Copying of music for collective worship is excluded. Licences for this purpose can be obtained from CCLI

Please note that certain publications are excluded from the SPML – please refer to Excluded Printed Music Publications


  • The licence provides certainty that your school is covered to legally make copies and arrangements.
  • There is no need to seek permission from individual publishers each time you want to make copies.
  • It allows your school to make more flexible use of music within the curriculum.
  • The licence is cost and time efficient, significantly reducing the burden of administration.

If you want to see the full terms of the SPML you can find it here.

Are you covered?

If your school is a state-maintained school in England then it is automatically covered under a national arrangement between CLA and the Department of Education (DfE).

If your school is a state-maintained school in Northern Ireland then it is automatically covered under a national agreement between CLA and the Education Authority.

If your school is a state-maintained school in Scotland then it is automatically covered under a national agreement between CLA and the Scottish Government.

If your school is a state-maintained school in Wales you can check with our customer services team to see if your local authority has opted to take the licence on your behalf.

If you are an independent school please contact us for more information.

Want to know more? 

Please have a look around our website for further information about the SPML. If you need any further information, or have any questions, please contact us and we will get back to you.

Please contact Customer Services if you have a query about the administration of your Licence.


Tel: 020 7400 3171

Please contact our Education Customer Services Coordinator if you have a question about the Terms and Conditions of your Licence.

Margret Heiligenstädt


Direct Line: 020 7400 3132

For more information on how to use printed music while respecting copyright, please refer to the MPA's Code of Fair Practice.


Music in the curriculum – are creative subjects under threat?
Click here to find out more about how the EBacc impacts on creative subjects.